O Radiant Dawn (Physical CD)
Laudetur Iesus Christus!
Saint Patrick Church is a parish of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese and serves the ancient Liturgy of the Orthodox West. We count it a great privilege to be a part of the exciting restoration of the Western Orthodox tradition to present day Orthodoxy. For too long Orthodox Christians have been deprived of this beautiful music within a Liturgical Orthodox context. On this album, you will hear authentic Western Liturgical pieces-the same music we sing every Sunday morning in worship of God. We hope this album enriches your life and renews your appreciation of the venerable heritage of the Orthodox Catholic Church of the West.
The present day restoration of the Orthodox West is a cause for rejoicing, for a lost daughter is being returned to her mother and the house is full of joy. We are grateful to God and the many wise Saints, Martyrs, Patriarchs, Bishops, and Faithful who have encouraged the restoration of this venerable Spirit breathed Tradition to the Orthodox Church. While the Church is never deficient, she is certainly poorer for the loss of her Western expression; the renewal of this expression serves to robustly manifest her unbroken Catholicity.
1. O Radiant Dawn - Music by James MacMillan, publisher Boosey & Hawkes Ltd.
2. O Antiphons:
O Root of Jesse
O Key of David
3. O Magnum Mysterium - Music by Ivo Antognini, publisher Alliance Music Pub, Inc.
4. Hark! The Herald Angels Sing - Arranged by David Willcocks, publisher Oxford University Press
+ HOLY INNOCENTS
5. Lully, Lulla, Lullay Music by Philip Stopford, publisher Hal Leonard Corp.
6. Stabat Mater Arrangement by Gustaaf Nees
7. Lord, For Thy Tender Mercy’s Sake Music by Richard Farrant
8. This Joyful Eastertide Arranged by Charles Wood
9. O Sons and Daughters of the King Arranged by Jacob Lash
10. Today is the Beginning Music by Nazo Zakkak
11. Ave Maria Music by Jacques Arcadelt
12. Mother of God By Sir John Tavener, publisher Hal Leonard
13. Tantum Ergo Music by Kevin Allen, publisher CC Watershed
14. O Salutaris Hostia Music by Kevin Allen, publisher CC Watershed
15. Ave Verum Corpus Music by William Byrd
+ MASS SETTING
16. Kyrie from Mass for Five Voices Music by William Byrd
+ Choral piece
17. Thy Bridal Chamber Music by Nazo Zakkak
*All pieces not in public domain are used by permission.
Saint Patrick Orthodox Church, Bealeton, Virginia
English Translations of Latin pieces (to be on inside front cover booklet)
O Magnum Mysterium
O great mystery,
and wonderful sacrament,
that animals should see the newborn Lord,
lying in a manger!
Blessed is the virgin whose womb
was worthy to bear
the Lord, Jesus Christ.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee;
blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus [Christ].
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Let us therefore, prostrate, adore so great a Sacrament,
And let the Old Law give way to the New Ordinance;
Let faith supplement the weakness of the senses.
To the Father and to the Son be praise, glory,
Salvation, honor, power and benediction also!
And to Him proceeding from the Father be equal praise.
O Salutaris Hostia
O Saving Victim, that openest the gate of heaven;
Hostile attacks oppress us, give us strength, bring us aid.
Eternal glory be to the Triune God,
Who giveth us life without end in our native land above.
Ave Verum Corpus
Hail, true body,
Born of the Virgin Mary;
Who has truly suffered, slaughtered
On the Cross for humanity.
Whose side was pierced,
Pouring out water and blood.
Be a foretaste for us
During our ordeal of death.
O sweet, o holy,
O Jesus Son of Mary,
Have mercy on me. Amen.